Thursday, April 10, 2008

Conor says: Its all about SOT's



In March, the Poison Control Center of Central New York released a new study about the kind of people who need their services. The results found one in every five CNYers who contact the center are overdosing on over-the-counter pain medication. Immediately following the study, the Post-Standard jumped to interview the center's director. So in order to make my story "sexier" than the Post-Standard's, I had to find something that would seperate my report on pain killer overdoses, from the norm.






How did I do it?






I happened to be pitching my story idea around the campus when I came across a young woman who actually overdosed on over the counter medication. For about an hour, I sat with the girl while she recounted her experience with these medications. What I found from her testimony was far more interesting than any information I got from the Center's director, as she talked about how physically traumatic the experience was. To me, this made my story. I took the basic scientific information from the Post-Standard, and found a way to make it relevant and much more exciting to listen to.






Check my story out on this "mad cool" widget:

No comments: