Thursday, April 10, 2008

bigger better bottle bill


The second time we had to make a wrap for class, I had an idea for a great news story. However, I e-mailed my two sources the day before with expectations that it wouldn't be a problem. I was wrong. I got one angry, short e-mail back saying "No." Then the next morning I still hadn't heard back from my other source, so I woke up at 6:30 am to make sure I could get ahold of the person and be prepared for the interview. Finally at 8 am, I reached the source by phone. However, once again it ended in an angry "No." I didn't realize how controversial my potential story was. I guess both sources didn't want to disclose their opinions on the topic, even though the story wasn't going to be published anywhere. So, again at 8:05 am I was story-less. I started to panic considering I thought I had everything in the bag just the day before. So I remembered from my class about a new bill that was trying to be passed by a fellow student. So I frantically facebook messaged the student asking if he could possibly meet me for an interview within the next hour. I then friended him on aim and somehow he signed on 30 minutes later. I quickly rushed to im him and not take no for an answer. I was in luck, however when I looked at my sound recorder I realized the battery was Dead! So before he would meet me in Schine in 5 minutes I ran to the Newhouse rental center to check out another one. Then I ran back to get my interview and hope that the story was somewhat interesting. I did finish the story on time, but I think it could have been much better if I had prior knowledge about the topic and prepared questions. Overall, next time I think something is a sure thing, I have to remember nothing is for sure and to always have backups.

No comments: